A Sample Passage from 1 Thessalonians 4 and 5:
13. Yet we are not wanting (or: willing, intending) you to continue ignorant, brothers, concerning the folks who are from time to time falling asleep [other MSS: those having been put to sleep (= passed away; died), and continuing made to be sleeping], to the intent that you may not continuously be made to be sad or sorrowful according as even (or: just like also) the rest (the ones remaining or left), the folks continuously having no expectation (or: hope)
14. For you see, if we habitually believe that Jesus died and arose (or: stood up again), thus (in this manner) also, through Jesus, God will be leading together, with Him, the folks being made to sleep.
15. For this we are continuously saying to you in a word of the Lord (or: in the Lord's Word; in a message which is [the] Lord), that we, the living (or: the ones continuing to live) – the folks continuing to be left around unto the presence of the Lord (or: into the midst of the Lord's presence) – can by no means advance before (precede; have advantage over; outstrip) the folks being made to sleep,
16. because the Lord [= Yahweh or Christ] Himself will descend from [the] atmosphere (or: heaven) within (or: in union with) a shout of command, within the midst of [the] Chief Agent's (or: an original messenger's; or: a chief and ruling agent’s; or: [the] beginning messenger’s) voice, and within (or: in union with) God’s trumpet [note: figure of a message or a directive for action], and the dead people within Christ (or: in union with [the] Anointed One) will raise themselves up (or: will stand up again) first (or: in first place).
17. Thereupon (or: After that; As a next step) we, the living folks, the ones continuing to be left around, will at the same time be seized and snatched away (carried off by force) into the midst of air – together with them within clouds – into the Lord's meeting ([Christ’s or Yahweh’s] encounter). And thus (in this way) shall we always be (or: exist at all times) together with [the] Lord [= Christ or Yahweh].
18. So that (or: Consequently) you must constantly call each other alongside (to give relief, encouragement and comfort; to be a paraclete) within these words (or: thoughts; reasons).
1. But concerning the times and the fitting situations (or: specific seasons or occasions), brothers (= fellow believers), you have no need [for it] to be continually written to you,
2. for you yourselves are accurately aware (know exactly from having seen) that a day of the Lord [= Yahweh] thus continually comes (is habitually and repeatedly coming; is presently coming) as a thief in a night (or: within [the] night).
[comment: the day of Yahweh was a term that
figured a time of judging and hard times, in the
Old Testament; e.g., cf Joel 1:15 and 2:1-2;
Jer. 30:7; Amos 5:18; Zeph. 1:14-18]
3. So whenever they may be repeatedly saying, "Peace and security from falling (or: safety; stability)," then (at that time) sudden and unexpected ruin (or: a surprise of destruction) is presently standing upon them, just as the birth-pang for the pregnant woman (or: to the one having [a child] in the womb), and they may by no means flee out or make an escape.
4. Yet you yourselves, brothers (= believers), are not continuously in darkness, to the end that the day may (or: would) suddenly take you down (grasp or seize you in a corresponding manner) as a theif,
5. for you see, you all are (or: exist being) sons of (= associated with and having the qualities of) Light and sons of (= associated with and having qualities of) Day! We are not (or: do not exist) of night, nor of darkness (or: we do not belong to or have the characteristics of night, nor to or of darkness).
6. Consequently, then, we may not continuously fall asleep [into death? in awareness?] even as the rest (= as other folks), but rather, we can and should continuously be aroused and stirred up from sleep [thus, awake to be alertly watchful; also a figure for being alive] and sober (or: clear-headed).
7. You see, the folks continuously falling asleep (or: drowsing) are sleeping at (or: from [the]) night, and the ones continuously being made drunk are becoming drunk at (or: from [the]) night.
8. We, on the other hand, being of Day (belonging to and having characteristics of [the] Day; having [the] Day as our source), can and should continuously be sober (clear-headed), putting on (or: clothing ourselves with; enveloping ourselves in; entering within) a breastplate (or: thorax) of faith and love (or: which is and is composed of faith and love; = have trust & love as body armor) and, as a helmet, an expectation (or: hope) of deliverance (health and wholeness; rescue and salvation; restoration to our original state and condition),
9. because God Himself did not (or: does not) place (or: set) us into anger (inherent fervor; violent emotion; wrath; or: teeming, passionate desire), but rather, into an encompassing of deliverance (unto establishing a perimeter of safety; into making health and wholeness encircle [us]; into the forming of an encompassing salvation around [us]) through our Lord, Jesus Christ –
10. the One dying concerning and on behalf of us (or: = while encompassing our [situation] [other MSS: over our [situation]), to the end that whether we can or would exist being continuously awake (attentively watching) or continuously falling asleep [note: a metaphor for "being alive or being dead"], we can at the same time be alive (or: live) together with Him (= share His life).
(Updated 2015 Version)
More sample passages and verses:
ALL 5 OF JONATHAN'S
(Updated 2015 Edition)
JONATHAN'S 4TH COMMENTARY
Peter's Encore & Later Paul
Comments on 2 Peter & Ephesians
JONATHAN'S 3RD COMMENTARY
Comments on Romans
JONATHAN'S 2ND COMMENTARY
John, Judah, Paul & ?
Comments on 6 Epistles
JONATHAN'S 1ST COMMENTARY
Peter, Paul & Jacob
Comments on 9 Epistles
Jonathan's first four volumes in a series of New Testament commentaries
Great companions to:
The New Testament
If you like the Amplified Bible, this translation unpacks more Word!
GOD'S MESSAGE OF
WHICH BRINGS GOD'S
GIFTS OF HIS SPIRIT,
HIS LIFE, HIS GRACE,
HIS POWER, HIS
FAIRNESS, HIS PEACE
AND HIS LOVE